Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Where to start.....

I've rewritten the start of this posting several times now, as I just don't know where to begin. You are on this blog because at one point or another you've thought about getting prepared, are preparing already or knew you were supposed to prepare for the times to come, but just didn't know where to begin.

I'm far from claiming I have any knowledge at all, but I do believe the time is short and the time is now. Many of us have hit hard times or know close friends or family that have, and it doesn't look like things are going to pick up anytime soon. I've been on this get-ready stint for the last four years now, sometimes dragging my feet, but finally feeling that was time to get serious. I am not scared or worried but I do believe we need to take some precautions and take personal responsibility for our own household, whether that's a household of one or many.

Several of you have asked me how to get prepared, where to start or what to do. I can only tell you what I am doing, and will gladly do so, hence this blog. For those of you that are familiar with the Flylady concept...
I usually don't spend more than 15 minutes a day getting things in order. If I can do it, you can too! If you don't know what I am talking about, and you are still living in CHAOS (Can't Have Anybody Over Syndrome), I suggest you take some time this evening or tomorrow and check it out: http://www.flylady.net/. There is no time like the present to sort what matters from what doesn't matter :-)

So........first things first. Please don't freak out, have sleepless nights or collapse in a depression on the couch with a bag of chocolates. I've done all that and it's a waste of time (except for the chocolate part). It's all going to be okay. We're in a tough time, but we're going to make it, and we'll all be the better for it. And let's have fun with it, we might as well! Together, each and every one of us has an incredible amount of skills, so let's learn from each other and with each other!

In the next couple of postings I'll be sharing with you what's in my GottaGo backpack by the door, how to shut off gas/water/power to your house in case of emergency, and how to get started on food storage. Food alone has gone up 13% in the last couple of months, so whatever you buy today will probably be cheaper than next week. Having these things in place have given me a sense of peace, knowing that I am doing my share. Everything else is out of my hands.

However, nothing can be done without water. So before you go to bed tonight, I'd like you to do two things: One: fill up two empty soda bottles with water, and set them aside. This is the start of your food storage. Two: see if you have a flashlight in the house. Found it? Keep it where you will be able to reach for it if the power goes out. No batteries or flashlight? No worries. More about that next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment